#1281 ✓resolved

CKEditor not working in IE or Chrome

Reported by peters@slx-online.biz | March 23rd, 2015 @ 11:51 AM | in 2.3.4 (closed)

CKeditor is fine in Firefox (latest), Safari (5.1.7) and Opera (28). It is not working in IE 11 or Chrome (41). Screenshot is IE. A small window briefly opens then disappears as expected, but the editor window does not then open.

Also, changing config.js, for example to change editor colours, does not work, the file does not appear to load (Firefox, Safari, Opera). It's also not clear in the documentation how to use the site's CSS within the editor.


Comments and changes to this ticket

  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz March 23rd, 2015 @ 12:11 PM

    Additionally, just tested with Firefox so far, when I click to add a link, then say Browse Server, I get the usual Insert / Modify Link screen. I click on Switch to File Manager and get the attached 'Listings for expFile message instead of File manager.

  • BJ Kline

    BJ Kline March 23rd, 2015 @ 12:46 PM

    Did you try turning off minification for Js? Go to configure website -> Minify -> Remove the check mark beside "Minify and Combine linked js scripts?"

  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz March 23rd, 2015 @ 01:12 PM

    I hadn't, now I have, makes no difference. Peter.

  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz March 23rd, 2015 @ 04:02 PM

    • Assigned user changed from “dleffler” to “expNinja”

    Thanks for the link, I missed that one.

    The textarea has an inline visibity:hidden when I look at the console. If I change this the textarea appears. Without analysing every line, the inline editor code appears to be there and does not look any different to the same block in Firefox's source. The level of CKEditor you are shipping appears to be at a level that should be compatible with IE11 (I see earlier versions showed similar problems to what I am seeing). Is it possible that something from the old editor has been carried across during migration from 0.9x ?

    I tried TinyMCE, it works but is not a practical alternative as my editors are familiar with the CKE interface.

    The Switch to File Manager problem in the additional append is the same as happened during the early stages of development of the last (Sandtoft) site while it was on my Fasthosts shared server account (#1180). This was only resolved by moving to Sandtoft's own server. This is not an option this time around, I know this is a Fasthosts issue but I need to find how to fix it as they don't acknowledge this a stheir problem. I don't have this problem on the currently live 0.9x site.

  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz March 24th, 2015 @ 10:02 AM

    I thought that would be the case. Changing theme did not help. I've also trawled through IE's settings and not found anything untoward.

    File Manager issue is 1180. Same problem on both.

  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz March 24th, 2015 @ 02:14 PM

    That makes two of us!! I'm afraid that didn't help either. It looks like Fasthosts can't resolve:


    I don't know what's supposed to happen, with the 'file' folder containing the picker file not being directly under the domain name.

    The direct call to File manage http://devel.britishtrolley.org.uk/file/picker/ajax_action/1/update... works fine.

  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz March 30th, 2015 @ 12:20 PM

    One of my administrators has reported the same editing problem in his Firefox, latest version = same as me, mine works his doesn't. Also now confirmed it does not work on iPad with Safari nor on iPhone.

  • peters@slx-online.biz
  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz March 31st, 2015 @ 07:31 PM

    Can you please explain the connection between my English language site and Dutch language files? Thanks.

  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz April 1st, 2015 @ 07:56 AM

    Unfortunately this is not the problem. First of all the browser language is English - see screen shot, and secondly I have downloaded all language files from ckeditor and put them on the server and it still does not work.

  • peters@slx-online.biz

    peters@slx-online.biz April 7th, 2015 @ 08:32 AM

    Today I did a bulk copy of the ckeditor folder from a working site to the problem site. The problem on my machine with IE and Chrome has disappeared. I will now check that the site editors are able to edit too before closing this off.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Bug Tracker for Exponent CMS

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket