#342 ✓resolved

Quirk: publish and Import problem. modules configurations lost

Reported by neryo | September 24th, 2011 @ 04:45 PM | in 2.0.9 (closed)

there's a strange problem.. we have developed a web site using exponent cms 2.0 fixed with the latest patch on XAMPP. but when we published the web site online (LAMP) we lost a lot of modules configurations like news aggregation, pagination setup and something like that. We tried to import from eql using an exponent installation from scrach and we have tried to import also by mysql dump. but there's been the same problem. we don't know how to fix it. it seems that there's a problem.

php version. 5.2.6
mysql version 5.0.87

any idea?

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • dleffler

    dleffler September 24th, 2011 @ 09:04 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “knownissue”
    • Tag set to database

    There's an issue when setting up Windows on XAMPP. The issue is that out of the box, Windows doesn't install table names with case sensitivity in mind. There are a number of tables in Exponent's database that have camel cased naming, like exponent_expFiles. Unfortunately, when Windows installs, in names them with all lowercase letters, like exponent_expfiles. Macs will read and write just fine, but also installs the names correctly. Linux, on the other hand, doesn't like the lowercase table names at all. So when we put your database up on a linux-based server, it bombs out, and nothing works.

    Luckily there's a fix:
    Open up C:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf and just after: [mysqld] add: lower_case_table_names = 2

    Restart XAMPP, the try re-installing Exponent, and check the tables to see that it's working.

  • dleffler

    dleffler September 24th, 2011 @ 09:09 PM

    • Title changed from “publish and Import problem. modules configurations lost” to “Quirk: publish and Import problem. modules configurations lost”
  • neryo

    neryo September 26th, 2011 @ 08:18 AM

    ok..thanks! that could be a workaround, i have to try it. :)
    but the CMS should handle this problem. A lot of developers develop on win. XAMPP a then they publish on LAMP. For example: i installed a new exponent on LAMP server from scratch.. I exported eql file from the XAMPP installation on windows and then imported in exponent on LAMP clean... same problem! Eql exporter shouldn't have these problems.. at least the previus version of exponent haven't ever had..

  • dleffler

    dleffler September 30th, 2011 @ 12:08 PM

    FWIW, MOST production exponent installations are running on Linux and many exponent developers are using linux or osx, so this problem isn't as comman as it may seem. This would then be more of a XAMPP configuration issue (out of the box settings).

    I will add this to the Troubleshooting page on the docs.exponentcms.org web site.

    Though I and one other developer do use XAMPP for local testing. Not sure if the issue warrants going back to only lower_case table names...though we may discuss it.

  • dleffler

    dleffler September 30th, 2011 @ 12:20 PM

    • State changed from “knownissue” to “open”
    • Tag changed from database to database, importexport
    • Milestone set to 2.0.2
    • Assigned user set to “dleffler”
    • Milestone order changed from “106” to “0”

    After some thinking...we may be able to circumvent the import/export problem by converting all the tables names to lower case when checking for the tables. MySQL internally only deals with lowercase table names.

  • dleffler

    dleffler October 28th, 2011 @ 06:31 PM

    • Milestone changed from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3
    • Milestone order changed from “7” to “0”
  • dleffler

    dleffler December 23rd, 2011 @ 06:50 PM

    • Milestone changed from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4
    • Milestone order changed from “1” to “0”
  • dleffler
  • dleffler

    dleffler August 11th, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

    • Milestone set to 2.0.9
    • Milestone order changed from “5” to “0”

    I've added an upgrade script to 2.0.9 pre-release that attempts to rename all the mixed case table names if they've lost their camel-case.

  • dleffler

    dleffler August 11th, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

    Move this upgrade script function into expDatabase subsystem and added it as a developer database menu item. Also moved install_dbtables into expDatabase for logical grouping.

  • expNinja

    expNinja August 11th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

    • State changed from “open” to “resolved”

    (from [94961f218069e806bb6feb2da1d75194fb7b36dc]) Adds an upgrade script to rename mixed case table names correctly if they've been renamed to all lowercase [#342 state:resolved] https://github.com/exponentcms/exponent-cms/commit/94961f218069e806...

  • Alex Veer
  • Alex Veer

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Bug Tracker for Exponent CMS

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket